Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Growing Up Right-Brained in a Left-Brained World

I've been wondering if more makers of things are right-brained or left-brained. I think a lot of them are right-brained, like me, but possibly more are left-brained. Let me tell you it's not easy being a right-brained nerd because so many nerds are left-brained: they think sequentially; they make lists; they remember codes and acronyms; they look at the parts rather than the holistic picture; and they are a bit condescending to us right-brainers.

I'm used to being a right-brained person in a left-brained world. My Dad (shown in the picture) is probably left-brained. In addition, I'm pretty sure that my mother, my numerous siblings, my cousins and aunts and uncles, all our cats (of which we had 18 at one point), and even our poor, neglected dogs were probably all left-brained. There I was, in the middle of all these logical, analytical, verbal braniacs (well, except for the dogs), lost in my world of imagination and art. It wasn't easy, I tell you (with tongue placed firmly in cheek).

So, I wondered how to explain the difference. I wonder if Blogger will let me post a table...

Me  
My family  
Forget words, jokes, idioms  
Capacious vocabulary (and they would know what that means without a dictionary!)  
Surround myself with expensive furniture, nice art, clean lines, no clutter  Books, magazines, ashtrays, clothing scattered everywhere; Good Will furniture  
Artistic  Musical  
Kandinsky, Klee, Miro, Rauschenberg, Rothoko  Adam Smith, Karl Marx, Aristotle  
Brown eyes  
Blue eyes (well except my Dad, who has brown eyes, and my twin brother who has hazel eyes)  
Math, art, poetry, literature  
Languages, history, economics, political science, biochemistry  
Bad at games except for Mastermind, Risk, and Four Square  
Good at all games especially Scrabble, Boggle, Scattergories, Checkers, and all those other games that I consistently lost  
Dreamy, imaginative, grumpy in the morning, need lots of time alone  Togetherness, music competitions, awake at 5 am! Argh!  
Made my own paper dolls with paper, pencil, and scissors Ran with scissors
Hate MS Excel  
My mother was one of the first users of Lotus 123 and still talks about how much she loved it!  
Can't imagine anything worse than doing my own taxes (except Death)  Actually enjoy doing their own taxes  
Big-hearted  
Also big-hearted! Thank-goodness. 

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 

What are those silly squigglies? Sideways hearts??  

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like I could be on your family's list. I am almost all of those things, except I LOVE Risk, I hate the mornings... but I make lists, can remember code and I am very "Gestalt", looking at the whole as a sum of its parts. And what in the hell are those symbols? <3?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. No clutter? You're no nerd!
    2. I love Kandinsky!
    3. I would have to look up capacious in the dictionary.
    4. Your right-brained nature helped teach me a lot about network design that was very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, jeez...I just realized I made a list! I guess I'm a left-brained nerd!

    ReplyDelete