Friday, May 8, 2009

Books for Nerd Mothers

Everyone is blogging and tweeting about this by now, but just in case my readers (all five of them!?) don't know about it, I thought I'd write about the very cool promotion O'Reilly books is having for the month of May. In honor of technical moms O'Reilly is offering a 40% discount if you use the code MDAYT. They are also posting pictures of moms, including my mom! My mother is 85 and still a nerd! She learned computer programming in her 50s about the same time as I was learning it in my 20s. She still spends many hours a day on her Macintosh. I'm glad we finally weaned her from her PCs.

The O'Reilly promotion got started when HillaryP who blogs about technical books and software noticed lots of mother's day promotions for flowers and beauty products and other girlie things. This got her thinking and caused her to post to her Twitter account, "Wouldn't it be awesome to see a mother's day discount on MS Press or O'Reilly books or other tech items?" Tim O'Reilly, founder and CEO of O'Reilly, took her up on it!   

I'm not a mother, but I am a nerd. My mother is both a nerd and well, duh, a mother. My mother's daughter is a nerd and a mother. What, you say? How can that be after what you just told us? It's a riddle! Ok, here's the answer. I'm referring to my sister, Sally, a brilliant programmer, security analyst, and QA expert. Her gorgeous daughters are also pretty tekkie, though they work in other fields. Hey, it's Mother's Day. I can boast a little even if I'm not a mother. Anyway, Happy Mother's Day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment