Sunday, November 20, 2011

The Makers of Cake

I usually blog about the makers of electronic things, but today I would like to celebrate the makers of yummy foods! The picture shows my sister presenting a Boston Cream Pie that she made for my twin brother and me when we celebrated our birthday a few years ago with another sister at her lovely home in Nashville, TN. (Yes, I had a relative who lived in Tennessee. She's a musician. She has since moved to a blue state (Vermont)).

I'm not much of a cook myself. If I had lived in New Testament times, I would have been a Mary, not a Martha. I would have sat at the wise one's feet and listened to every word while my sisters toiled in the kitchen with the loaves and the fishes, the hummus and the grape leaves and the olives and the pomegranates, preparing food for the holy one, his disciples, and possibly 5,000 unexpected guests. But I would have been glad to do the dishes, even though that might have involved many trips to the well, soap made of camel oil, and tripping over guests who got into the water (wine).

Bringing this back to our millennium, I am amazed at the ability of many cooks. They make complicated desserts like Boston Cream Pie and delicious family meals every day, despite our fast-paced, multitasked world. For many years I have been the beneficiary of loving cooks in my family, including sisters, brothers, nieces, nephews, and my husband, and I would like to say, THANK YOU. I love you! I'll do the dishes.


2 comments:

  1. Not on your birthday you won't! Love you too, Alan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would probably get underfoot in the kitchen, being so take aback by the experience i could do nothing. Dishes sounds all right to me!

    ReplyDelete